The IV Novembre Park is still called 'Public Garden' by many people living in Pordenone, as it was built around 1856 by the Civic Administration, taking advantage of the space created between the centre and the Cappuccini district after the construction of the railway. In 1903, the garden hosted an important agricultural exhibition and then regularly hosted the animal market, which was moved there from Piazza della Motta, where it had been held every Wednesday since 1594.
It is probable, therefore, that the design of the park took into account its main use as a boarium, both because of the numerous radially arranged entrances and because of the concentric planting of the trees, designed to allow animals to be tied in, also ensuring that they could rest in the shade during the summer heat.
The circular series originally consisted of horse chestnuts (plants with high shading power) that were cut down during the Great War and then replaced with linden trees, which were certainly already present in the most central area of the park. In later times, various evergreens, such as spruce, cypress, yew and thuja, were added.
The circular pattern of the garden today is emphasised by some laurel trees, pruned in an elegant conical or cylindrical geometry. The park also preserves some stone statues and capitals. The IV Novembre Park performs an important function of ecological connection between the Querini Park, the tree-lined area of Piazzale Marcolin and the green banks of the Noncello River, guaranteeing continuity to the green belt that embraces the city of Pordenone, extending from the opposite side as far as the Galvani Park and then continuing, almost without interruption, towards the Castello di Torre Park, through the Seminario Park.
*The photographs belong to the Municipality of Pordenone and are distributed with Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0 International (CC-BY)